Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Breaking the news

From the moment we had found out that we were pregnant, we thought the Fourth of July would be a great time to have everyone get together to share the news. We could plan the party for the fourth to celebrate and to show off the new homestead, and no one would have any idea of the real reason.

So the next plan had to be how we were going to break the news. We poured over tons of ideas and finally came up with custom printed Yankee Candles. We put them in red, white, and blue bags and handed them out as 'door prizes' to all of our guests.

We had two big moments that day. The first was with our parents and one of our brothers (the other two couldn't come). We had them come earlier than everyone else so we could tell them first. We started acting like we were getting annoyed that the other party guests weren't there yet, so we would pass out the gifts to kill time until they arrived. One thing I learned is that you shouldn't give old people something small to read. It took them all a minute to figure out what the candles said. But when they did, they were all very excited.

Once our other friends got there, we shared with them the same way and everyone was extremely happy for us. We had a great day of eating, watching fireworks, and chilling.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you both!!
What a blessed occasion. Baby Pickett will be blessed, too, to have such wonderful parents, and, of course, grandparents.
I'll keep checking for the progress of this great news.
Nancy H.

Anonymous said...

We are extremely excited for you!!We are going to be grandparents, and that thrills us!! Baby Pickett is blessed to have parents like you. We hope you enjoy the pregnancy. It is awesome to hear your description so far. I can't wait to hear more. Enjoy the ride!! It is an awesome one. We love you!!
Mom (Grandma Karen)

Anonymous said...

I KNEW IT!! I'm so excited for you. I can't wait to hear more updates from Baby Pickett.